Sandbags Now Available For Calcasieu Parish Residents
With the threat of even more rain this week in the Southwest Louisiana area, the Calcasieu Parish Police Jury has announced the opening of several sandbag locations.
The local forecast from the National Weather service has called a 70% chance of rain today, with a 90% chance on Wednesday and Thursday, and 70% on Friday.
Southwest Louisiana, especially Lake Charles, can't take much more of this rain, as streets flooded all over the city yesterday. Most of the water on the roadways has subsided, but it will only take another inch or two to cause the roads to flood again since all the drainage is full.
With that being said, you can protect your property with sandbags. There are seven different locations throughout Calcasieu Parish to get yours.
- Ward 1 Barn - 461 Parish Road, Moss Bluff
- Ward 2 Barn – 7085 La. 14 East, Hayes
- Ward 3 Old Barn - 2320 Smith Road, Lake Charles
- Old Kroger building- intersection of Beglis Parkway and Napoleon Street, Sulphur
- Ward 5 Barn – 129 Third St., Starks
- Ward 6 Barn – 1275 Plum St., DeQuincy
- Ward 8 Barn – 1726 Parish Barn Road, Iowa.
When you arrive at any of these locations, sand and bags are provided to you free of charge. However, you will need to remember to bring your own shovels and some help, as you will have to fill your own bags.
Sandbags and all the locations are open and available 24 hours a day, seven days week while the threat of severe weather is present. .