Leaving Pets In Freezing Temps Can Result In Felony Charges
As the cold weather makes its way down to SWLA, we need to take more precautions than just wrapping pipes and bringing in the plants. We can't forget our four-legged friends.
The Louisiana SPCA says it's illegal to leave pets outside when the National Weather Service issues a freezing advisory. During cold snaps like this, the LASPCA can't keep up with rescue calls to save animals in distress.
During this time, animal control officers must handle every call as an emergency call. If you don't bring your pet inside during freezing temperatures, they could be seized and you could be charged with animal cruelty, which is a felony offense.
So let's all do our part and make sure our furry friends are safe during the freezing weather headed our way.
If you see a pet left out in the freezing weather, don't assume another person has called to report this cruelty. You can contact the Calcasieu Parish Animal Services by calling 337-721-3730.
The weather from Sunday until Wednesday will be at or around freezing. Here's the National Weather Service forecast:
- Sunday - A 30 percent chance of showers before noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 43. North wind around 10 mph.
- Sunday Night - A slight chance of rain showers after midnight, mixing with freezing rain after 3am. Cloudy, with a low around 32. Northeast wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
- Monday - Rain showers and freezing rain, possibly mixed with sleet. High near 35. North wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
- Monday Night - A slight chance of rain showers, freezing rain, and sleet before 9pm, then a slight chance of snow, freezing rain, and sleet between 9pm and midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 21. North wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
- Tuesday - Mostly sunny, with a high near 39. North wind 5 to 10 mph becoming east in the afternoon.
- Tuesday Night - A 20 percent chance of showers after midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 33.