Pet Health—6 Foods to Never Feed Your Dog
Getty Images News
I don't have any figures to back this up, but I'd venture to say that Louisiana ranks pretty high in dog ownership. I'm also pretty certain that most dog owners treat their dogs like family members. When it comes right down to it, dogs are family members.
We also love to give our dogs special treats from time to time. Dogs love it and it makes us happy to see them happy. As much as we may like giving our dogs those treats, some can cause dogs to become very ill or even die.
Here are 6 foods you should never feed your dog
1. Chocolate- I guess most people are aware of this one. When I was a kid, my sister and I had a dog that was a true choc-a-holic. We even went so far as to give her a Hershey bar every Christmas. We had never heard that chocolate could actually be fatal for dogs. Obviously neither had our dog because she lived to be very old. Still, don't take chances. Chocolate is number one on the list
2. Onions- While a small amount of food containing onions may be okay, they contain thiosulphate which can build up in a dogs system and cause a variety of health problems. Naturally, onions lead us to:
3. Garlic--Onions and garlic. Like dogs breath isn't vile enough already! Garlic also contains thiosulphate.
4. Grapes-- Grapes can actually cause kidney failure in some dogs. Since raisins are just dried grapes, your dog shouldn't eat them either.
5. Sugar Substitutes-Contain chemicals that can cause liver failure in dogs.
6. Yeast- Products containing yeast can actually cause a dogs digestive tract to rupture.
Well, there you are. If you have a dog, I know you want it to be healthy and happy. I also know that there are probably a ton of dogs that just love all six of the foods on our list. Still, it's best not to take chances!