Three Texas Cities In The Top Metro Areas For Porch Pirates In The Nation
Stolen packages have decreased in frequency in three Texas cities, but they are still ranked in the top metro areas in the USA for porch pirates stealing packages.
Safewise partnered with Vivint Smart Home to research porch pirate trends all around the nation. They found out that 113 million packages were swiped off of Americans' porches in 2022. They are estimating that we could see over 119 million packages swiped from porches in 2023.
Austin moved down four spots on their list from 2022, however, this is definitely a list you don't want to move up on.
Top 10 Worst Metro Areas For Porch Pirates:
- Seattle-Tacoma, WA
- Memphis, TN-MS-AR
- San Diego-Chula Vista-Carlsbad, CA
- Birmingham-Hoover, AL
- Denver-Aurora-Lakewood, CO
- Richmond, VA
- Austin-Round Rock-Georgetown, TX
- Greenville-Anderson, SC
- Grand Rapids-Kentwood, MI
- Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro, OR-WA
Here's some interesting stats from Safewise.com:
- More than 3 in 4 Americans have been a victim of package theft in their lifetime.
- 79% of Americans have been a victim of package theft in the last 12 months (15 points higher than last year!).
- Over half porch pirate victims have had multiple packages stolen in the past 12 months.
- 40% of all packages stolen are valued between $50–$100—that’s an estimated loss of $19.5 billion.
Safewise also mentions that even though porch pirates are becoming more common, online orders in Austin and around the country aren't slowing down, in fact, they're increasing.
One of the reasons they attribute to why package theft is increasing is that it's a low-risk crime. Even when caught, the penalties are minimal. It sounds to me that we need to contact our local and state politicians to pass local ordinances and state laws that make more severe penalties for package theft.
Here's some tips on what you can do to help minimize the chance that you will fall victim to a porch pirate: