Sargento Cheese Recall Expanded
Several days ago, I had a story about how Sargento had recalled some of its pre-packaged cheese because of a possible listeria contamination. Now, so far, the recall has been done voluntarily by Sargento as a precaution and the company is quick to point out that, so far, no one has gotten ill by eating Sargento cheese.
The original recall, which took place on Feb. 10, has now been expanded to include other products made on the same line. One step Sargento has taken is to cut its ties with the company that supplies cheese to Sargento. They seem to be operating that the contamination occurred before they received the cheese from the supplier, Deutsch Kase Haus.
The company recalled some cheeses Feb. 10, but expanded the recall Friday to include products produced on the same line. Sargento says it also cut ties with Indiana-based Deutsch Kase Haus, which supplied cheese which may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
Once again, let me stress that no one has become ill from any of Sargento's products, but you can return those products to the point of purchase. Earlier, Sargento released a statement:
Out of an abundance of caution, in addition to the products recalled on February 10, 2017, with the new information we received from our supplier, we are also voluntarily recalling the following products which were packaged on the same lines:
- Sargento Sliced Colby, 8 oz., UPC 4610000105, Sell By date 15MAY17F
- Sargento Sliced Muenster, 8oz., UPC 4610000107, Sell By dates 05MAR17F, 06MAR17F, 15APR17F, 16APR17F and 17APR17F
- Sargento Sliced Pepper Jack, 7.5 oz., UPC 4610000122, Sell By date 03MAY17B
- Sargento Sliced Tomato & Basil Jack, 6.67 oz., UPC 4610000279, Sell By date 03MAR17B
- Sargento Shredded Reduced Fat Colby-Jack, 8 oz., UPC 4610041018, Sell By date H07APR17
- Sargento Shredded Chef Blends 4 Cheese Pizzeria, 8 oz., UPC 4610041105, Sell By date H10APR17
- Sargento Artisan Blends Double Cheddar Shredded Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040094, Sell By date H08JUN17 and H09JUN17
We are also adding "Sell By" dates to some of the products that were previously recalled on February 10, 2017:
Sargento Ultra Thin Sliced Longhorn Colby, 6.84 oz., UPC 4610000228, Sell By dates 02FEB17F, 01MAR17B and 16MAR17F
Sargento Chefs Blend Taco Blend Shredded Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040002, Sell By dates H11MAY17 and H01JUN17
Sargento Sliced Pepper Jack, 12oz., UPC 4610000108, Sell By dates 02MAY17B, 03MAY17B, 11JUN17B
Sargento Sliced Colby-Jack, 12oz., UPC 4610000109, Sell By date 01MAY17B
Sargento Off the Block Fine Cut Colby-Jack Shredded Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040014, Sell By date H06MAY17
Sargento Chef Blends Nacho & Taco Shredded Cheese, 8oz., UPC 4610040041, Sell By dates H04MAY17, S15MAY17 and H01JUN17
Sargento Off the Block Fine Cut Cheddar Jack Shredded Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040076, Sell By dates H07MAY17, H08MAY17 and H09MAY17
The updated recall list is fairly extensive, but you can get the complete list of recalls HERE