Louisiana Mobile Home Fire Claims First Fire Death of 2023
State Fire Marshal deputies continue investigating a mobile home fire in Bush Louisiana that claimed the life of a female resident.
This is the first fatal fire investigation of 2023. Just before 1 a.m. on Sunday, January 1, St. Tammany Fire District #9 responded to a report of a mobile home fire located in the 28000 block of LA 40 in Bush. Upon arrival, firefighters located a female victim in a bathroom.
The St. Tammany Coroner’s Office has identified the victim as 51-year-old Stacey Glass. After an assessment of the scene and collecting witness statements, SFM deputies determined the fire began in the living room area. At this time, deputies have been unable to rule out the possibility of an electrical malfunction as a potential contributing factor to the cause of this fire.
In addition, deputies were unable to confirm the presence of working smoke alarms. Smoke alarms are proven to be the difference between life and death in a fire emergency.
If you want a smoke detector installed in your home by Shreveport Fire Department, please call 318-673-6740.
Every three hours, someone in the U.S. dies in a home fire. And if a fire breaks out, you only have minutes to escape. Is your family prepared? The Shreveport Fire Department reminds you that where you put your smoke alarms matters; install working smoke alarms on each floor, in hallways, living areas , inside all bedrooms and outside sleeping areas.
The sooner you hear an alarm, the more time your family has to escape. Test alarms regularly, replace them if they’re more than 10 years old, and develop and practice an escape plan with your family. It’s these Smart Choices that could save lives.
SFD also wants to remind people about proper space-heater safety in the colder months to come:
• Purchase a heater with the seal of a qualified testing laboratory.
• Keep the heater at least 3 feet away from anything that can burn, including people.
• Choose a heater with a thermostat and overheat protection.
• Place the heater on a solid, flat surface.
• Make sure your heater has an auto shut-off to turn the heater off if it tips over.
• Keep space heaters out of the way of foot traffic. Never block an exit.
• Keep children away from the space heater.
• Plug the heater directly into the wall outlet. Never use an extension cord.
• Space heaters should be turned off and unplugged when you leave the room or go to bed.