Family Friendly Day Trips in Louisiana
Summer is pretty much here, which means lots of family time in the outdoors is a possibility. We have so many wonderful family friendly things to do here in Louisiana. You really don't have to go far to find something fun, entertaining, and not expensive to do. Only in Louisiana has some fun destinations, so be sure to check them out for your next adventure.
- Sci-Port Discovery Center, 820 Clyde Fant Parkway, Shreveport. Over 92,000 square feet of science and entertainment that is fun for kids and adults. They also have hands on exhibits and interactive demos, and Louisiana's only IMAX Dome Theater.
- Kisatchie National Forest. Take a hike in the only national forest in Louisiana, with over 604,000 acres to explore.
- LSU Rural Life Museum, 4560 Essen Ln, Baton Rouge. Go back in time and see what Louisiana was like a hundred years ago, right in the middle of our capital city!
- Take a Swamp Tour. The closest to Acadiana would of course be in the Atchafalaya Basin, but there are also plenty to choose from around the New Orleans, Houma, and Plaquemines areas
- Splash Kingdom Waterpark, Blue Bayou and Dixie Landing. If you are in north Louisiana, you can head to Splash Kingdom in Shreveport, and of course, Blue Bayou is in Baton Rouge. Both have season passes to make things a little more affordable for families.
- USS Kidd, 305 River Rd S, Baton Rouge. A WWII destroyer that you can even have a slumber party on! You've probably seen it docked near the Mississippi River Bridge and the State Capitol building
- Jungle Gardens/Avery Island, Hwy 329, Avery Island. Home of Tabasco, this is a great day trip to see the beautiful lush grounds, and how the most famous pepper sauce in America is made
- State Parks. Louisiana has 22 beautiful state run parks, and 17 of them have cabins to rent
- Audubon Zoo, 6500 Magazine St, New Orleans. One of the oldest zoos in the US, this beautiful spot in the heart of the city has 58 acres and over 2,000 animals. They also have fun things like concerts and special exhibits throughout the year. And lots of movies have been filmed here.