Calcasieu Parish Gets Two Solid Waste Centers — Here Are The Regulations [MAPS]
Thanks to a 1.5-cent sales tax passed in October 2010, there are two new locations in the parish where you can drop off goods you can't normally get rid of in your regular trash can. But, there are some rules:
First off, both locations (shown in the maps below) are open from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursdays through Mondays. It's free to use if you're a Calcasieu Parish resident (and you'll have to show your ID to prove it.)
Here are the guidelines for dropping off trash at the facility:
- All acceptable waste must fit in the container at the site.
- No commercial or industrial waste will be accepted.
- A person can drop off up to 5 tires a day.
- Paint cans dropped off must be open and dried-out.
- Doors have to be removed on "white goods" such as refrigerators, dryers and washers, etc.
- Motors, tanks and cans must be drained.
- Automotive or industrial oils, grease or anti-freeze will NOT be accepted.
- Animal caracasses must be reduced as much as possible, double-bagged, and tied.
If you're up for some recycling, you can do that, too. Here are the items that can be recycled:
- Aluminum cans
- Catalogs, magazines, and phone books.
- Chipboard (cereal boxes or shoe boxes, etc.)
- Colored paper
- Computer paper envelopes
- Newspapers and junk mail
- Plastic bottles and jugs
- Tin and steel cans
- Empty aerosol cans