Undrafted McNeese Football Players Signed By NFL Teams
The 2022 NFL Draft was last weekend, and while no Cowboys were drafted several former Pokes signed to NFL teams as Undrafted Free Agents (UDFA).
The last player from McNeese to be selected in the NFL Draft was wide receiver Quenten Lawrence in 2009 to the Kanas City Cheifs in the sixth round. The first McNeese football player to be selected in the NFL Draft was offensive tackle Charlie Dees in 1956 to the Los Angeles Rans in the 19th round. You can see every Cowboy drafted by NFL teams by clicking here.
Undrafted McNeese Football Players Signed By NFL Teams:
Isaiah Chambers (DE) - Indianapolis Colts
Chambers was a transfer from Houston University. He made an immediate impact on the Pokes defense with his next-level pass-rushing skills. He finishes his career with the Cowboys having 91 total tackles and 18 sacks.
The Colts currently have seven defensive ends on their roster. Only one of those players has elite pass rushing skill. If he can perform well in offseason workouts and preseason, there's a decent chance Chambers can make the team.
Over the two years playing with McNeese, Isaiah has amassed an impressive amount of awards and accolades:
- 2021 East-West Shrine Bowl Participant
- 2021 Hula Bowl Participant
- 2021 Consensus All-American (1st Team AP, AFCA, Stats Perform, Athlon Sports, FCS ADA)
- 2021 Phil Steele All-American 3rd Team
- 2021 7th in Buck Buchanan Award voting as FCS top defensive player
- 2021 Southland Conference Defensive Player of the Year
- 2021 1st Team All-Southland Conference
- 2021 1st Team All-Louisiana
- 2021 SLC All-Academic and Student-Athlete of the Year
- 2020 Consensus All-American (1st team AP, AFCA, STATS Perform, HERO Sports, Phil Steele)
- 2020 4th in Buck Buchanan Award voting as FCS top defensive player
- 2020 Phil Steele National Defensive Player of the Year
- 2020 1st Team All-Southland Conference
- 2020 1st Team All-Louisiana
- 2020 Southland Conference Defensive Player of the Year
- 2020 Louisiana Defensive Player of the Year
- 2020 SLC All-Academic and Student-Athlete of the Year
Jamal Pettigrew (TE) - Los Angeles Rams
Pettigrew was a transfer from LSU. He's an absolute physical specimen at tight end, standing six foot seven inches tall and weighing 247 pounds. Not only can he block but he possesses great hands and 4.67 speed. The Rams only have two other tight ends on their roster at the moment, which means, Jamal has a good shot to make the team if he performs well in offseason workouts and preseason.
One more player to note. Longtime Cowboy defensive back Colby Burton (2016-2019) has signed with the Baltimore Ravens as a UDFA. He transferred to ULM for the 2020 season and then to the University of Hawaii for the 2021 season.