Sulphur Adds Second Drug Drop Location
If you find yourself with expired meds or a medicine chest full of drugs you'll never take again, you'll want to dispose of them properly and the city of Sulphur has just made this process a bit easier with the opening of a second location to safely dispose of unused, unwanted or expired medications.
According to Calcasieu Parish Sheriffs Office spokesperson Kim Meyers, The CPSO has installed a new drug drop box in the lobby of the Sulphur (West Cal) Law Enforcement Center, at 1525 Cypress Street.
There's no charge for the service and it's an anonymous process. You'll want to remove all the labels and personal information from the bottles before you drop them off at the center.
There's a list of drugs and items that can be disposed of through this service:
- Controlled substance medications (scheduled drugs)
- Non-controlled (Rx) substance medications
- Over the counter (OTC) medications
- Medication samples
- Syrups, ointments, creams and lotions
Here's what CANNOT be dropped into the box:
- Any sharps such as needles, syringes or lancets
- Any mercury or cadmium products such as thermometers & batteries
- Disposal medical waste items such as IV bags, used bandages, gowns or bio-hazardous items
- Aerosol cans
- Chemicals or disinfectants such as hydrogen peroxide
- Personal care products (non-medicated shampoo, etc.)
If you want to dispose of any drugs at the new location, you'll find it open from 8 a.m. until noon and from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. The Sheriff's Office also has a drop box in the lobby of the Sheriff's Office Administration Building at 5400 E. Broad Street in Lake Charles that is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.