Randy Newman Postpones Tour Because of Broken Neck
Randy Newman has postponed his upcoming tour as he recovers from a recent operation to repair a broken neck. The run of shows was originally slated to kick off on March 15 in Dublin, Ireland.
Ticket holders have been advised to keep an eye out for information regarding rescheduled dates.
“Recently, I noticed I was shrinking,” the legendary singer-songwriter explained on his website. “People over whom I had towered now towered over me. Could this be payback for having written 'Short People'? Turns out, my neck was broken."
Even though the 78-year-old Newman did not disclose any further details on his condition, he did note that the surgery went well and that more recuperation time had been recommended by his doctor before getting back to live performances.
“They operated on me successfully, I think,” he said. “For even now, I look less like an anteater and more like a folk-rock artist from the early '60s. But the doctor said I’m not quite ready to tour. I was really looking forward to coming to Europe to perform. I miss performing a great deal, and I look forward to a time when I can come. I’m sorry I won’t see you this time but I will see you soon.”
Newman's most recent live appearance was in July 2021 when he performed at the Newport Folk "Folk On!" festival, which also included performances by Beck, Sharon Van Etten and Julien Baker.