Louisiana Firefighters Demonstrate Christmas Tree Fire Danger [Video]
Firefighters from St. Tammany’s Fire District No. 1 showed how quickly a dried out Christmas tree can go up in flames.
This past Saturday (Dec. 15) the firefighters held a demonstration. When you watch the video, you'll notice that in under two minutes, the entire make-shift living room is engulfed in flames.
Here are some Christmas tree fire safety tips from Today:
- Inspect lights first
- Never overload a circuit
- Turn off all lights and decorations before leaving the house or going to bed
- Use a GFCI
- Keep your tree hydrated
- Use space heaters with care
- You can never have enough smoke detectors
- Keep batteries in all of your carbon monoxide detectors
- Don't use flimsy extension cords
- Use caution when decorating with candles
- Get flame without the fire