Huey Lewis and the News Sign Deal for First Album in 10 Years
Huey Lewis and the News announced a record deal for their 10th studio album, which is due for release in the spring.
It will be the band’s first original music since 2001’s Plan B. In 2009 they released Soulsville, a set of Stax Records covers, with frontman Lewis commenting: “the public isn't clamoring for new Huey Lewis and the News material.”
However, doubts remained over their ability to tour while he continues to suffer from a debilitating illness.
“We’re very excited about our new album, and honestly feel that it’s among our best work – we cannot wait to get it out to fans!” he said in a statement. “We’re equally excited to be with BMG, whose reputation as a ‘music-first’ label precedes them admirably.”
"In the time we’ve grown closer with Huey and the band it became clear that this is a perfect match, said BMG representative John Loeffler. “We look forward giving the band more opportunities to take advantage of all we have to offer and working alongside them to develop some new creative endeavors.”
Last year Lewis canceled 60 tour dates after suffering trouble with his ears, diagnosed as Meniere’s disease, which can cause hearing loss, balance issues and inner ear pressure problems. He later reported: “It can get better; it just hasn't yet. I haven't come to grips with the fact that I may never sing again. I'm still hoping I'm gonna get better. They say a positive attitude is important.”
Answering a fan request about tour dates on Jan. 7, Lewis said on his website: “No plans as yet because I can’t hear enough to sing, so we have no gigs booked. I hope I can get better.”