Don’t Ever Do These Things For Free
America is a great place. You work, you get paid. It's a simple thing. And there are some situations in life that you should ALWAYS get paid for, according to the folks at Forbes, who know a thing or two about money. Their suggestions are below, and just remember, it's called business for a reason.
- Show up at work, or attend a staff meeting without being on the company payroll. You need to be employed by them if they want you to actually be there.
- Work on a company website or put together a marketing plan just to be 'nice'.
- Interview potential employee candidates, or sit in on an interview
- Work at a trade show booth, be in on a virtual client meeting, or visit clients or potential clients
- Travel, representing your company
- Develop a training program, or Power Point Presentation. You need to get paid for this, y'all!
- Interview for a job more than three times
- Work on solving a big company problem without being compensated for your time
- Give out your personal contacts/networking list
- Before getting hired, taking calls from someone in the company who just wants to 'pick your brain'. They can do that when they put you on the payroll.