The Top 5 Safety Hazards Around the 4th of July in SWLA
I know, I know...there are tons of lists on the internet about 4th of July safety. But every region has their own "cultures" and how they do things. So I wanted to make a list that was more suitable for SWLA and some of the stuff we may encounter tomorrow during our Independence Day festivities.
The Top 5 Safety Hazards Around the 4th of July in SWLA:
1. Fireworks. Don't let yourself have a relaxed attitude with them, because that's how accidents happen. Don't let kids use them unsupervised. Never use illegal fireworks. Never re-light a "dud." And always have a hose handy.
Look, if we learned anything from our Facebook poll, most people are going to be spending the majority of their money on booze and fireworks. And they don't mix, so please be careful.
2. Grilling. Never leave your grill unattended. Don't spray lighter fluid on an open flame, or leave the bottle next to the grill. Never use a grill inside an enclosed area, like a garage. And make sure it's far enough away from anything that might catch fire.
3. Water Safety. If you'll be around water, the most important thing is to keep a close eye on the kids. Young kids can drown in as little as 2 inches of water. So you have to be careful, even if it's just a baby pool. Around a real pool, you have to be even more cautious. And be careful about rip tides at the beach.
4. Sun exposure. If you're outside all day, you HAVE to wear sunblock. A recent study found super-high SPFs do make a difference, SPF 100 is better than SPF 50. So keep that in mind, find some shade, and drink plenty of water, so you don't overheat.
5. Your Pets. A lot of pets get spooked by fireworks and run away. So make sure their collar is on. Never take your dog to a fireworks display. In general, think about keeping them inside, just to be safe. And if you have people over, let them know not to let them outside too.
While keeping your pet inside, make sure they have places to hide and run around.