The Best of 2012 — Our Most Viewed Posts of the Year
The internet is a strange and unpredictable creature. You literally never know what the Next Big Thing will be. Sure, you can make some educated guesses -- of course, Joshua Ledet was going to be big news. But can you guess what the No. 1 story of the year was on 929thelake.com?
15. November 6th– We Also Vote on State Constitutional Amendments – Oct. 10, 2012
Good luck making sense of the hash of state constitutional amendments they shove down our throats every year. Gary Shannon found a neat little site to help you wade through all the legalese.
14. Classic Advertising Slogans; How Many Can You Name? – May 2, 2012
It's not always cool to admit it, but the commercials we grew up with are as much a part of our culture as anything else. Still, everyone once in a while, one gets by us. See if you can remember all of these iconic advertising slogans.
13. Joshua Ledet’s Latest ‘American Idol’ Triumph! – April 12, 2012
When "American Idol" contestant Joshua Ledet took on Bruno Mars' "Runaway Baby," he set the stage on fire and proved he was a contender. After this, no one could deny his talent, and few could compete with it, either.
12. Saltzman and Davis Get Life – Aug. 24, 2012
One of the more sensational court cases of the summer wrapped up in late August when Carol Saltzman and Robyn Davis got life in prison for the murder of Robyn's husband, Brian.
11. Lisa Layne—The Voice Behind “All I Want for Christmas is You” Vince Vance and the Valiants [VIDEO] – Dec. 4, 2012
When you hear "All I Want for Christmas is You," Vince Vance isn't the singer. He's the guitarist with the goofy looking hairdo. That amazing vocal was delivered by the one and only Lisa Layne, and Gary Shannon found out more about the woman behind those incredible pipes.
When Josh Ledet returned to Westlake right before his elimination from 'Idol,' we had the very cool pleasure of a half-hour interview with him. We left no stone unturned, and you can watch the entire interview starting with this one.
9. Sasol Project - More Local Jobs! – Sept. 13, 2011
The recession that started in 2008 never hit here the way it did nationwide, but that didn't mean people weren't still looking for jobs in the Lake Area in 2012.
8. Ten Most Troubling Halloween Costumes For Kids in 2012 – Aug. 3, 2012
Some things sound funny on paper. And then, more often than not, someone goes and ruins it by trying to turn it into a real thing. Some Halloween costumes do not need to exist.
7. Does Facebook Know Your Cell Phone’s Secret Name? – Feb. 8, 2012
This cool little trick actually just makes use of a little-known Facebook feature. It's pretty simple to do, and you never know what name it's going to spit out.
6. Friends, Classmates Talk About James Holmes – July 21, 2012
Sometimes, it's completely impossible to make sense of an event like the Aurora movie theater shootings. Did anyone a killer like James Holmes coming?
5. Where Are They Now? — Mark Hamill – March 18, 2011
If you're going to be known for one thing in your life, you could do a whole lot worse than Luke Skywalker. But what else is actor Mark Hamill up to? Gary Shannon finds out.
4. Joshua Ledet Eliminated From ‘American Idol’ and I’m Glad! [VIDEO] – May 18, 2012
The title is deceptive. Find out just why Gary Shannon was glad to see Joshua Ledet booted off "American Idol" -- and see if you don't agree!
3. Bay City Rollers — Then and Now – March 21, 2011
What can we say? People love the Bay City Rollers.
2. See Your House in a Snow Globe! Try it. – Dec. 3, 2012
Every wished you could see what your own house would look like in a snow globe? Thanks to the miracle of Google Maps, you wish has been answered.
1. The Grumpy Cat Chronicles — YouTube’s Latest Viral Star – Oct. 18, 2012
People simply cannot get enough of Grumpy Cat. Deep down in his cold, angry little heart, Grumpy Cat may never appreciate us, but we will always get a kick out of him.