Scam Alert — Tree Service Rip-Off
Police are trying to find Chastity Touchet. It seems that Ms. Touchet is has been accused of taking money for tree removal then making herself scarce.
Also suspected in this tree removal scam is a company by the name of Daniel’s Tree Care.
If you are approached to have tree removal or any kind of work done on your trees, contact the BBB. They have a list of safety checks you should make on any company coming to your door.
From Carmen Million of the BBB:
BBB offers the following tips to avoid becoming a victim of a tree trimming scam:
Always ask to see the person’s credentials and call the company they are representing for verification. Be wary of workers from out of state. This makes it more difficult to contact them should there be a problem.
- Be suspicious if you are greeted by name, approached while you are outside your home or cash is demanded as payment for their product or service.
- Be suspicious if the company demands payment up front
- Be cautious of those who will not put their estimate in writing. Do not take verbal quotes.
- Be cautious of workers who are using vehicles without any company markings on them. Legitimate companies are proud of their names and usually display them on their vehicles.
- Be sure to get at least 3 quotes for the work to be done and don’t automatically choose the lowest bid.
- Be sure to verify that the company is properly licensed with Louisiana Department of Agriculture and the local licensing agencies such as city and parish.
- Be sure to check the company out with BBB at 337-478-6253 or www.bbb.org.