New York Principal Bans “God Bless the USA” — Yeah, Let’s NOT Be Proud to Be Americans [OPINION]
In case you've not been following the story, I'll give it to you in a nutshell. The principal of P.S. 90 in Brooklyn has told the children that they can't sing "God Bless the U.S.A." at their graduation because it might "offend people of other cultures".
The principal in question, at first, decided to allow them to sing "Baby" by Justin Bieber. She has since withdrawn that permission when parents pointed out that it was not really an appropriate song for six and seven year olds. So now what do they sing? I don't know, but I know all these following songs are OFF the list, too:
- "Mary Had A Little Lamb" -- Would offend vegetarians and members of PETA.
- "Jack and Jill" -- Violence. Also excludes same-sex couples.
- "This Old Man" -- Age discriminatory. And exactly what does "He played knick-knack" mean?
- "Three Blind Mice"-- Violence. Also the title would need to be changed to "Three Visually Impaired Mice."
- "The Little Pigs" -- Not kosher.
- "Happy Birthday" -- Only if they include EVERYONE'S name.
- "If You're Happy and You Know It" -- Not everyone is happy. There are people in this world who are depressed. It would be cruel to sing about being happy when there is so much sadness in the world.
- "Old MacDonald" -- Too Scottish. Why does the farm owner have to be Scottish? Song title needs to be changed to represent all cultures. Also, children may be led to believe that farm is spelled E-I-E-I-O.
- "Rock-A-Bye Baby" -- Are you out of your mind? Do you want parents to think it's okay to put babies in trees? Also, has that crib been approved? Does it contain lead paint? Are the slats close enough together that the child can't try and put their head through them and choke? This song has far too many problems.
- "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" -- Okay, first off, not everybody has a boat. We shouldn't sing about things that some people just can't afford. That could lead to people being discontent. It also points out that there are economic differences. This is unfair and unjust. There should be no upper income. We should all share everything equally. Also, there is no mention of approved flotation devices being on the boat.
Yeah, okay. I've vented my anger now.
Here's a great lesson for those young people. You can believe in anything you want. Just keep it to yourself. Don't stand up for anything. Everyone is always right. Don't be proud of the freedoms so many people died to preserve. They were all misguided. We let other people come here to escape tyranny and abuse but it's okay if they hate us for it.
Seriously... have people lost their minds? Is it wrong to be happy that we live in a country where we can be free? Of course not. Unless we want to sing about it.
How do you feel about this situation?