Gun Safety — Free Guns Locks from CPSO
Following the accidental shooting three weeks ago at Moss Bluff Elementary School, gun safety has become an important issue once again. Luckily, the accident didn't end in tragedy and the young victim is expected to make a full recovery. Most accidental shootings have much more tragic endings. It's even more of a shame since these gun accidents are all preventable.
In response to that accident and to promote gun safety awareness, the Calcasieu Parish Sheriff's office is going to be providing gun locks at no charge. I remember when I was a teenagers(the earth cooled and the dinosaurs died) I took a gun safety course at the United States Marine's center in Beaumont. the one thing that the instructor really emphasized was that there is no such thing as an unloaded gun. Of course there is, but if you treat every gun like it's loaded, you far less likely to get hurt.
I guess the next best thing to an unloaded gun is an unloaded gun with a lock on it. If you own guns, gun safety needs to be a regular part of life. Make sure that everyone in the family knows about the guns and how to handle them. Of course, guns should be kept away from young children, but we all know how kids love to prowl. More than one life has been needlessly lost because a child found a gun.
The Calcasieu Parish Sheriff's Office wants to emphasize the importance of gun safety. That's why, starting today, CPSO will be distributing free safety gun locks to local residents.
The locks will be available for distribution 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at the CPSO Main Office, located at 5400 E. Broad St. in Lake Charles. You will also be able to pick up a gun lock at any of the Law Enforcement Centers from 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- South Lake Charles Law Enforcement Center – 7098 Gulf Hwy., Lake Charles
- Sulphur Law Enforcement Center – 1525 Cypress St., Sulphur
- Vinton Law Enforcement Center – 1302 Center St., Vinton
- DeQuincy Law Enforcement Center – 618 E. Center St., DeQuincy
- Moss Bluff Law Enforcement Center – 115 Bronco Ln., Moss Bluff
- Iowa Law Enforcement Center – 203 Hwy 90 W, Iowa
- Central Lake Charles Law Enforcement Center – 2112 Moeling St., Lake Charles
- Carlyss Law Enforcement Center – 4525 Hwy. 27 S., Sulphur
- Starks Law Enforcement Center – 4352 Hwy 12, Starks
- Bell City / Hayes Law Enforcement Center – 7085 Hwy 14 E, Bell City