Great Leftover Turkey Recipe
First of all, I have a confession to make. I don't mind Thanksgiving leftovers just as they are. But, if you have a lot of leftovers, you're going to want to break up the monotony.
Frankly, just a plain old sleep inducing turkey sandwich is hard to beat.
Here's a recipe my family always enjoyed when there was a lot of bird left over.
Before you get started, get a non-stick baking pan or line a pan with foil.
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees
2. Put the cranberries, OJ, orange zest and sugar into a pan and bring it to a boil. When about half the liquid has cooked away, remove from heat and set aside to cool.
3. Roast the cashews (yes, you can substitute walnuts or pecans if you don't care for cashews) for about 10 minutes. You know how you like them so judge by their color.
4. Haul out the leftover turkey and get all messy pulling the meat from the bone. A word of safety here. You are working with fowl. Make sure your hands and everything else you use are very clean!
Mix the turkey with celery, mayo, applesauce,sage, thyme plus salt and pepper to taste.
5. Mix the cooled cranberry mixture from step #2 with the turkey and let the entire mixture cool for about 2 hours.
That's really about it. You can serve it in a bowl as a salad or find a really great bread and make it a sandwich. A crusty bread really gives the dish an enjoyable mix of textures!