Are You Disaster Ready?
The Boy Scout Motto is: Be Prepared...By that they mean be prepared for anything! Over the past few years, natural disasters have been in the news a lot and that prompted National Geographic Channel and Kelton Research to take a poll and ask people what disasters they think may be pending and how prepared are they should those fears come to pass.
Here are the results..Do they match your answers?
- 85% of the nation is not ready for a devastating event.
- More than 62% of Americans think the world will experience a major catastrophe in less than 20 years.
- 71% envision a major disaster in their lifetime as an act of God, not man.
- 27% believe that the Mayan calendar’s prediction about a calamitous event in December 2012 will be at least “somewhat true.”
- 52% believe that if Mitt Romney or one of his Republican counterparts overtake Barack Obama, a man made catastrophe is more likely.
- Among those who feel unprepared, 40% cite the lasting effects of the recession as the reason for their unpreparedness.
- The same number (40%) say “to hell with a 401(k)” to save money for catastrophe arrangements.
- If doomsday were to arrive, 39% think they would not last two weeks based on the supplies they have on hand.